Friday, July 28, 2017

Celebrate the Small Things: A Visit to Heaven

I believe that earth is a mixture of heaven and hell. People, places and the experiences we have with them and at them. There are times when we feel like we are in Heaven and times when we feel like we are in Hell. However, these turn out be rare when compared with the 'in between' times, which to extend the analogy using a Roman Catholic concept, I will call purgatory: the waiting room. Most of us spend the majority of our time in the waiting room. True highs and lows, the agonies and ecstasies of life are not the norm, but that is exactly why we rejoice in the good times, and, armed with hope, we fight through the hard times. Last week was a week of highs.

Early Wednesday morning, I dropped my daughter at the airport to catch her flight back home to Wollongong via Sydney. The week she spent up here, in what some call paradise (dry season), Darwin, was so great. Wonderful on many levels and for many reasons.

I'm stoked that she came, and that we were able to do heaps of cool and fun stuff together. As Jessie  and I were working through the week, my daughter also had plenty of time to chill and enjoy being on her own: warm, relaxed and unhurried.

Last Saturday we drove to Litchfield National Park which is about 90 minutes from Darwin. It is just one of many places in and around Darwin where nature can be seen at her spectacular and beautiful best. One of the places inside the park we visited was Wangi Falls, and I can't imagine a more heavenly place. It was awesome. The photo, as is normally the case, does not do it justice.

I'm so grateful to have had this time with my daughter, who is now a young woman of whom I am immensely proud. But wait, there's more: this time next week, my mum will be here for a visit, and there's no need to say how much I am looking forward to that.

What's the most beautiful place you have visited? When have you felt like you were in heaven?

8 comments:

  1. The photos already make it look amazing. So glad you had some time with your daughter, and it sounds like the great times aren't over yet. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what I mean about photos, right? I don't take as many photos when I travel anymore. Something traditonal owner told me as the beginning of a tour of Uluru changed my thinking.Some areas of Uluru are sacred so tourists are strongly advised not to take photos. He suggested we simply enjoy it, feel it, rather than try to capture it in a photo. I hope your week is going well also.

      Delete
  2. You are so right - those moments of pure joy are rare. In my experience they are usually spent with loved ones/close to nature. My favourite places? Possibly the English Lake Distict.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to hear from hear Ms Rix. Tanks for visiting Square Pegs and for taking the time to comment.

      Delete
  3. I love getting to see my kids, which I don't get to do often enough. All grown, with lives and kids of their own...I remember how busy I was at their age. It sounds like you had a wonderful time!

    Hoping you and your mum have a great visit as well. I lost mine in 1985 and it still seems like yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son tried to apologize for being a bad son because he wasn't making the effort to keep in touch. I thanked him, but said there was no need. Live your life mate, I said. I'm always here for you, and I love you.
      He's 21, currently holidaying in Europe with his girlfriend, and has a good part time job to come home to while he finishes his uni studies. I get it. He doesn't realize how well I understand him. I remember being his age like it was...yep, yesterday.

      Delete
  4. That does look like a beautiful place. So pleased to hear you had some special time with your daughter. They do grow up so quickly, I had a few days in London with my two girls last week and it was wonderful to spend time all together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The stages of life, right? We're parents for life. Seems like when they grow up and move out they don't need us anymore...when in fact they still need us, just differently. Forever a source of pride, our conditional love goes on and on no matter how little or how often we see them. Nice to hear from you Suzanne. I'm glad for you too, to have have had some with your daughters. You get it.
    Thanks for visiting Square Pegs and for taking the time to comment.

    ReplyDelete