Saturday, May 6, 2017

2017 A to Z Blogging Challenge reflections post

Let the reflective countdown begin:

"Now we see things imperfectly, like puzzling reflections in a mirror; but then we will see everything with perfect clarity. All that I know now is partial and incomplete, but then I will know everything completely, just as God now knows me completely." - 1 Corinthians 13:12

5. Five reasons why this worked:

1.     The switch from a linkylist to using Facebook posts was a master stroke by the A - Z team. Much easier to participate and only active participants posted.
2.     I met, as always (this was my 4th year in the Challenge), some new people, discovered some cool blogs and learned a few things.
3.     From most of the blogs I visited and commented on, I received reciprocal action.
4.     I successfully challenged some people's perceptions of heavy metal.
5.     I enjoyed myself through discovering a whole bunch of new bands and expanding my knowledge of the diversity of my favourite music genre.

4. Four new bands I now want to hear more of because I've 'fallen in love" with them:

1.     A Breach of Silence (Australian metalcore)
2.     Hiranya (Spanish metalcore)
3.     Insomnium (Finnish melodic death metal)
4.     Taberah (Australian heavy metal)

3. Three bands which just missed the 26 cut. There were other worthy contenders but three notables who were very close were:

1.     Nightwitch   (US heavy metal)
2.     Barbie on Death Trip (German metalcore)
3.     Barbarion (Australian parodic metal)

2. Two top commentors. My thanks to all who visited and commented, but in particular let me name the following bloggers:
  1. Keith Hillman Keith's Ramblings
  2. Geraint Issit Penguin Ponderings
1. One reason why this was my best year so far in the A - Z: 
This year I wrote for myself. I wasn't trying to sell/promote my books, or increase traffic to/followers of my blog, I simply wrote about one of my passions. I guessed it would not be popular, but that wasn't the point. I write for myself, and that is the biggest thing I am taking away from the challenge this year.

I wish success and happiness to all of you, however you define those things, and I'll catch in 2018.






14 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi David, I didn't visit your blog much this a-z. Heavy metal is not my thing, but I love your take on things. As writers, we do write for ourselves. There's a burning drive inside that keeps us going. Glad the new method worked for you. I couldn't use Facebook because I use a different name from my blog name. Setting up an author page didn't help any. Facebook defaulted to my old name. Tried to fix but I've spent far too much time...I'll let it gel awhile. Anyway, the a-z was both exhilarating and exhausting. As I stated last year, I probably won't do again...although something always draws me back, so we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. Bummer about the Facebook thing not working out for you. I'm guessing from the numbers that it didn't work for a lot of people. I don't think there was ever more than 200 comments on each day. I don;t know whether that means people weren't participating or whether, like you they weren't using Facebook, but that is a huge drop in the number of participants. I'm about to start my rounds on the reflection posts, so it will be interesting to see what others think. My life has been in such turmoil for years now that writing has seemed less and less important. I said I'd get back to my WIP (novel number 6 after the A - Z but I keep finding other things to do. I've already decided on my theme for next year's A to Z, so I'll be in again for sure. See you around the Web. Bye for now.

      Delete
  3. I had mixed feelings before it all began and I certainly didn't visit blogs the way I used to with the Linky List - I'm sorry I didn't get round to visiting you on the Challenge because I think I'd have learnt a few things too so I'll be popping back to your posts over the next few weeks. I'm glad you had such a great time and as you say enjoyed writing for its own sake rather than having to try to "sell" something :)
    Special Teaching at Pempi’s Palace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dropping of the linkylist seems to have knocked out a huge number of participants. I'm not sure whether that's a good thing or a bad thing. No need to apologize for not visiting. I'm just happy to know you're out there.

      Delete
  4. It's much more fun writing about something you love and I think respond better to that than self promotion. Sounds like a great theme - I love this sort of music
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't noticed any difference in people's responses vis-a-vis writing about what I love and self promoting. I'm just tired of thinking about it. I was just talking to my class today about what it takes to be successful. We brainstormed a little, before I added sacrifice. I can't help thinking the reason I haven't achieved the success I want (with my writing) is that I haven't pursued it single-mindedly. I haven't made any sacrifices. That's cool. I can accept that. Anyway, thanks Debbie. I'm glad you like the music. Bang your head sister!!

      Delete
  5. I was thrilled to find another heavy metal fan, as there don't seem to be many of us within the ranks of A to Z Challengers. I fell way behind but hope to catch up with your posts over time. The playlist is a fabulous idea that I used as well. Congratulations on your successful month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True Debbie. True. I had major internet dramas during the challenge which affected my ability to visit and comment, but I'm pretty happy with what I did. I'm really happy with my theme choice and pleased to have met you. My congratulations to you as well.

      Delete
  6. Visiting your blog was one of the highlights of my day! I'd switch off my classical music and enjoy a few minutes head banging and playing my air guitar! I think writing for yourself was what made your posts all the more interesting from the reader's point of view. Lastly, thanks so much for spending so much time in crazy Amble Bay. There's a pint on the bar for you should you return one day!

    Amble Bay: Reflections and other things

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nightwitch or Nightwish? Because "I Wish I Had an Angel" is a great song. But I don't think it's a US band, pretty sure they're from Norway or Sweden or something.

    Rock on, my man, rock on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got it! Night Demon. I've no idea where 'witch'came from. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-nozJQfqE0

      Delete
  8. Hmmm...seems like my memory has failed me on the name. Definitely a US heavy metal band, but not Nightwitch. That's going to bug me now. Thanks for the tip on Nightwish though. Not bad. Yes, they're from Finland. Genre? Symphonic power metal I'd say. Now to figure out the name of the band...no sleep until I do. ;-)

    ReplyDelete