Friday, February 10, 2017

Celebrate the Small Things: A taste of metal

None of my friends, in real life, or in my online life are major heavy metal fans like myself which means I have no one to talk to about one of the loves of my life. My son used to be. He was once obsessed with Metallica, and he introduced me to the band which is now one of my favourites: Australia's own, Parkway Drive. Sadly he has moved on from his metal phase.

To overcome this problem, I did what everyone does when they have no one to talk to...I turned to social media. I found a Facebook group for heavy metal fans, and now I can exchange opinions and music with headbangers from all over the globe. This gives me pleasure, so today I am giving thanks for Crescent Heavy Metal Rock Music.

I also want to give thanks for the genre itself, which contains surprising diversity. Bach is said to be the originator of heavy music, and many of the great early heavy metal bands, Black Sabbath for example, credit this influence. I don't like all the sub genres of heavy metal, but I doubt anybody does. Whilst some think heavy metal is just noise, the bands I like, impress and move me with their musicianship and the lyrical content. I actually find loud, fast and aggressive music relaxing. Okay, so that sounds weird, but each to their own right?

My top five metal bands are, in no particular order: POD, Metallica, Disciple, Parkway Drive, and Trivium.

Here's something moderate for your possible enjoyment:








4 comments:

  1. One of the wonderful things about the net is you can always find others with your interests. I think Alex Cavanaugh (ISWG hop creator) is a metal fan. My fave guitarist is Brian May, but I guess he doesn't qualify as metal. lol Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Queen: one of the greatest rock bands of all time. You have a great week too, Lexa (my most faithful commentor - thank you)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same problem; hardly any of my real-life friends are metal fans, and those who are have moved out of town. My favorite bands are within the black metal subgenre, but I also listen to death and doom metal from time to time >:)

    Cold As Heaven

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha of course you do...sorry mate. You won't be surprised to hear that my favourite genre is metal core (a lot of Christian bands). Black, doom, death? Can you recommend any bands that have good vocalists and are well produced. I'm wading through the you know what atm to find a decent sound, and although I'm not a huge fan of the negativity associated with those genres, I have an open mind. I prefer more realism laced with a bit of hope. That's why I love AILD. Even though Tim Lambesis clearly had some troubles and is now in jail, he is a brilliant lyricist, and a pretty mean growler as well. Good to hear from you CA. DA signing off.

    ReplyDelete