Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Women's fashion, milk and cars?

I’m based in Darwin now, but still doing the same job: teaching English as a Second Language. I now work with international students who are a completely different kettle of fish from the adult migrants I previously taught. My class is mostly comprised of Taiwanese students, with a couple of Koreans, and a young man from Hong Kong, and a young lady from Spain thrown in to disrupt the flow of conversation in Mandarin.

Today we were working on the phrase ‘I’m surprised by…’ As we’ve been tackling present perfect tense, I asked the students to think about what has surprised them about Australia since they moved to Darwin. None of the students have lived in Darwin for more than a year, some for only a few weeks. Their answers to the question were very interesting so I thought I’d share some of them with you, in no particular order.

Since coming to Darwin, what has surprised you?
  1. How many people sit on the grass, or on the ground.
  2. How early the shops close.
  3. How big the houses and the land are.
  4. How cheap cars are.
  5. How cheap milk is.
  6. How behind the times women’s fashion is.
  7. How many traffic lights there are on highways.
  8. How bad pork smells.
  9. How relaxed people are.
  10. The bad behavior of Aborigines.

 Makes you think, doesn’t it?

No comments:

Post a Comment