Friday, September 9, 2016

Celebrate the small things: My legs work

The incidences of me missing buses has decreased dramatically thanks to the Bus Tracker app about which I have previously raved. However, there are occasions when I still miss out. Like this morning for example, when I arrived on time-meaning before the bus was due-only to discover that I had left my towel and headband behind.

I considered my options. 

1. Go to the gym for my first ever pump class without a sweat towel and my headband.
2. Run home and grab the items and run back to the bus stop.

Option 1 would mean having to hire a gym towel because if you don't have a sweat towel they don't let you train. Option 1 would also have meant using the aforementioned hire towel more frequently than I would have used my own towel because my headband absorbs most of the perspiration produced from my chrome dome.

Option 2 meant running the risk of missing the bus, and generating additional pre-workout sweat and muscle fatigue in the process.

I took option 2 and missed the bus by three hundredths of a second. So I walked to the gym. It took half an hour, but I arrived on time for the class. After the class which hurt quite a bit-in a good way-I walked to the bus stop, but decided a fifteen minute wait was unnecessary. As I had walked to the gym, why not I thought, walk back. And that is what I did.


My legs were a little shaky immediately after the pump class, but certainly more than capable of carrying me home. Today, I am grateful for healthy, fully functional feet and the similarly robust legs to which they are appended.

6 comments:

  1. Yay for your decision to walk! It may have hurt, but it's probably good for you in the long run. I worked as a singer for years and used to forget my mic battery in the charger at home. Finally, I taped a big sign to the door that I couldn't miss if I were leaving and didn't forget again! Your towel and headband might benefit from a sign on the door, too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only happened once, and I was talking with my fiance on the phone at the time...and you know about the whole men and multi-tasking problem, right? If it happens more often, I will certainly take your advice. Do you still sing. I hope so even if not professionally.

      Delete
  2. Missing the bus may be a pain, but it makes for great exercise. And I, too, am grateful that I have legs and feet that get me around to where I need to go. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True on the exercise front, and it's not as though I am ever really in any hurry to get anywhere. It struck me as funny that I had never previously felt let alone expressed any gratitude for my legs. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

      Delete
  3. Walking is usually the better option ;) Sorry it caused you so much trouble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only problem with all the walking is the heat. It's always hot here in Darwin. Overnight temps in the mid 20s, and mid 30s during the day. Anyway, if that's the worst of my problems, I am a most fortunate man.

      Delete