Friday, July 24, 2015

Celebrate the Small Things: Shoelaces

Today I had occasion to hurriedly remove my shoes, and I did so without undoing the laces. To my credit, I did undo them before I put the shoes back on, and then re tied them. That's what you're supposed to do with them.

They're a very old idea actually. Thousands of years before Christ men were lacing up, and although shoes have taken on all manner of weird and wonderful forms, the laces with which we tie them haven't changed much at all.

Anyway, how many times have you chastised your children for slipping their laced shoes on and off? How many times have you done it? Is it really the serious concern that some have made it out to be? Are these questions important to the future prosperity of mankind?

I like undoing and doing shoelaces. I find comfort in the well practised routine. It's an orderly and proper thing to do, and I like orderly and proper things. That's why I was inspired to write this trivial blog...because I circumvented the right process. Shame on me. I'll never do it again.

6 comments:

  1. Yay to laces! My daughter makes them loose and ties them in a knot so she can slip right in and out. I tried her shoes on once and - ugh! I like my laces too, thank you very much! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kids are lazy. That''s why they don't do shoelaces unless they have to.

      Delete
  2. They probably just slip out of the laced shoes because they can't figure out how to tie and untie the laces. Though it does become easily once you know how to tie a bow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They know how to do laces. They are lazy, but aren't we all a little bit like that sometimes?

      Delete
  3. I never have been able to slip shoes on or off without undoing the laces. They're too tight. And it only takes me 30 seconds to loosen them. No biggie. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people apparently cannot afford 30 seconds. Cheers Lexa!

      Delete