Saturday, July 12, 2014

The Opaque Soul

Rarely do I receive inspiration for these weekly blog posts. Usually, I fumble through the filing cabinet of my mind until something presents itself, until some notion or theme demands to be written. Sometimes, I hear something or see something, or am struck without warning by a pre ponderous idea from which I am unable to disentangle myself, and I write about that, but mostly it is more laborious and much less romantic than that. Writing is sometimes an act of discipline rather than desire.

Today, I feel vague and fuzzy. 

I've been watching Star Trek Enterprise and now well into season three, am amazed at how good it has become. I find the current ongoing storyline gripping and fascinating. Enterprise's mission to stop an alien race called the Xindi from building a weapon to destroy the earth is compelling. The Xindi themselves are intriguing, comprising five distinct dominant species, who do not get on well, and who in fact waged a hundred year war which resulted in the complete destruction of their home world and the annihilation of a sixth Xindi species.

If you're not into science fiction, and I find that thought both baffling and repulsive, then I have just lost your interest. Assuming of course that I had it in the first place.

My soccer team outdid Germany's performance in the FIFA World Cup against Brazil, by winning 9-0 against our opponents. It was a huge boost for team morale after a heartbreaking draw the previous week. The team I follow in the National Rugby League, the Bulldogs, had an outstanding win against highly rated opponents last night in an awesome defensive display. These results have puffed my sails, but if you're not into sport, then no doubt you are injuring your jaw with excessive yawning.

I have now sent off 61 submissions packages for my new novel, A Muddy Red River. I have had 5 rejections so far, and one acceptance which I subsequently rejected. I need to start writing my next novel, and I am going to have to start from scratch because I have decided to shelve the one I had already started. I don't feel able to continue with it due to personal reasons.

Still here? Bless your heart. Not a coherent post but perhaps sufficiently engaging to elicit a sagacious, humourous or even nonsensical comment from you, treasured reader. And thus to the prompt: what has puffed your sails this week?

4 comments:

  1. Puffed my sails? I've not had a very good week, so I'm just going to ignore the question.

    I set myself up with a schedule of sorts for my blogging. Every day has a specific topic. I find this helps me narrow down the choices and focus on something. But that's just the way my brain works.

    I did watch Star Trek Enterprise for a bit. It's one of those that I stopped watching somewhere in its run for some reason or other. I think I got Star Trek'd out. I might go back to it one of these days. (I loved the theme song, though.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you Liz. Sorry you've had a bad week. I'm having a run of them.

      Delete
  2. My sails have been puffed this week by my life in general. My family, my friends, my work, my interests, my faith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great to hear, Anonymous. It's good to know that people like you are living happy and grateful lives. Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment.

      Delete