Saturday, September 21, 2013

A Dead Guinea Pig on the Tiles

My week began poorly when my team was knocked out of the play-offs. We were at the game to see the mighty Bulldogs, bark and growl for the first twenty minutes of the game without putting enough points on the board, before tucking their tails between their legs and whimpering and yelping to defeat. Season over.

We have been babysitting our neighbor's guinea pig, Blaster. It had been enjoying many weeks of luxurious holiday making in palatial accommodation next door to my daughter's equally pampered rabbit, Kiki. Then it croaked. Was it sick? Was it old? Did we do something wrong?These are the questions we were left to ponder in our grief.

Guinea pig poop...Good compost?  or just poop??  :)Click To Enlarge

My son graduated from high school during the week. It was a proud moment, a milestone. As a high school drop out, I appreciated the fact that he had not only showed no signs of dropping out but actually lifted his intensity and sharpened his focus this year. On the eve of the HSC exams, he has already begun applying to various universities. I'm sure he'll do well.

The downstairs living room floor has been adorned with bare concrete for many years. Ever since flooding ruined the carpet, we have battled to stem the flow of water during heavy rains and dreamed of re covering the floor. Yesterday, it happened. Big smiles all round. I've just got to put the skirting board back on.

                   


What do these events have in common? What deep insights have I gained as I reflect upon them? Nothing and none. It's just a slice of my life and I wanted to share it with you.

Photo source:
http://www.vegetablegardener.com/item/10145/question-guinea-pig-poop-as-garden-fertilizer

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you have been busy. Congrats on son's graduation. Too bad about Blaster. We babysat a cat once that caught one of our gerbils. Everyone felt awful. I see a new book on the right. Cool! I still have Devolution on my Nook's 'to be read' list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon. Always good to hear from you.

      Delete