Saturday, August 17, 2013

Not as good as it gets

Jack Nicholson famously posed the slightly fatalistic question, "What if this is as good as it gets?" Similarly, Solomon suggested that a man should accept what befalls him, and make the most of it. Is this life as good as it gets? Many people think so. In fact, the very same don't believe there is anything else. This is it. This is life. Do your best. Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die.

Life is characterised by problems, by trouble, and by suffering but I refuse to believe that this is as good as it gets. We do have to make the most of this life, but not because it is the only one we have, or because we cannot make it better.

A paradoxically simple attitudinal change is all that is required to improve our lot in life. Instead of lamenting the computer crash which robbed me of nearly four hours of my life, and put me way behind the work/study eight ball, I can be grateful that we have other computers in this house. I can be thankful that I have even one. That it can be repaired. That I can afford to have it fixed. That I can ask for an extension on my assignment, and it will be granted. That I know how to use a computer. That I know how to read and write. That I was able to go to school. That there is a heater blowing warm air on to my legs. That I have legs, and that they work well. I could go on but I think I've made my point.

Former Prime Minister, Malcolm Fraser once said that life wasn't meant to be easy. It was actually, and it will be once more. When the cancer of sin is finally and eternally cured, we will be made whole, and life will be perfect. In the meantime, let's try large doses of gratitude to help ease the pain.

What are you thankful for?
 
photograph sources:
www.themodernnomad.com
www.gonemovies.com

No comments:

Post a Comment